Friday, September 1, 2017

Houston has a problem....

It has been a good 7 or 8  years since my last post - forgive me if my English is out of whack and my writing style simplistic. I am no longer living in Germany and no longer a mother to a wonderful boy but TWO.

Husband is the same character that I have moaned about before - frog turned into prince and turned into a toad - kind of thing - but the biggest change has got to be that I am now living (well for the last 4 weeks anyway) in Houston, US of A.

Nope, it was not on my account and neither did we willingly emigrate but rather my hubby was told to come here or.....(mind boggles to think of the alternative) and so we packed up ( such a simple word belying the tears, endless lists, organization, trips to the recycling center, the uprooting of our what was our home and base for the last 10 years - whew!) and here we are - our cat Georgia included.

First few days were good - it was just numbed by jet lag. I forgot for awhile that I am now even further away from Malaysia, in Trump La-La Land and in Ku Klux Klan territory (aka the South) - what could go wrong right?

Plenty as it turns out - all 4 Categories of it. Meet Hurricane Harvey Category 4. The aftermath after he made landfall exactly 7 days ago, is catastrophic to say the least. Words like Hundred Year Flood, Biblical Proportions seem sensational to say but in truth, they don't even begin to describe the destruction and misery that Harvey had unleashed upon us.

Suddenly, Houston is in news everywhere - not so much Rockport or Galveston or Corpus Christ when Harvey was a full brute Category 4 Hurricane but Houston - when Harvey weakened to a Category 4 Tropical Storm and dumped trillions of liters of rain on Houston - causing massive floods.

I thought at the time "Why now? When we have just arrived? Some welcome Houston - thanks"

It is enough for me to have a flash of all of us (Georgia) included making a beeline for the airport and hightailing it back to Dusseldorf. Even better in Germany than USA? That's saying something!

We have been spared from the floods - though the danger was never that far away. Maybe God didn't want to scare us too much and complete disillusion us - but my state of mind is shaky to put it mildly. I seek comfort but don't know what gives me comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment